Congressman Kurt Schrader is a farmer and veterinarian who has been bringing common sense to Congress since being elected in 2008.
Jobs for Our Communities and Rural Oregon
- As chairman of the Finance and Lending Subcommittee on Small Business, Schrader wrote, introduced and passed a bill to create $44 billion in new lending for small businesses and cut through much of the bureaucratic red tape that hampers small businesses growth.
- Schrader fought hard to make sure Newport became the new home of NOAA’s Pacific Fleet and the hundreds of jobs and economic opportunities that base brings to the community.
- Schrader has fought and won support for regional projects that provide jobs for Oregonians in these tough times. Kurt fought for a new armory in hard-hit Polk County for the Oregon National Guard, and for critical improvements to the Mill Creek Employment Center in Salem bringing jobs to the region.
Fighting DC Gridlock and Getting It Done for Oregon
- Schrader has cut through red tape for his constituents, helping Oregon families win back over $1.5 million in stalled Social Security payments, denied veterans benefits and delayed IRS refunds.
- Schrader fought for the funding for the long needed upgrade to the Woodburn interchange.
- Schrader joined with Oregon Republican Greg Walden and Democrat Peter DeFazio to pass landmark legislation out of the US House to increase management and jobs in our federal forests, while preserving old growth forestland for future generations.
Fighting DC Partisanship
- Schrader opposed the government shutdown and donated his salary to the Oregon Food Bank during the shutdown.
- Schrader votes for what is right, with one of the most bipartisan records in Congress.